Thursday, May 15, 2008

I'm a BLOGGER!!!

Hi....this is the first time I'm trying this out so bear with me. I thougth it would be a good idea to blog and say its your journal rather then keeping an actual one....which is tiring to keep! I will make sure I introduce blogging to my children maybe when they're like 2 or 3 years of age....if I get to keep this going for that long. Also, I'm using this so I can only say good things. So, if I ever miss or I've been missing in action for a long time just email me so I can get on with it again.

Anywayz, I've been back in Fiji for four months now and its been a roller coaster trying to find a job. I had hoped that I would get in the Department of Social Welfare but they thought otherwise and with the current situation in Fiji....I mean I was seriously considering selling some vegetables in the market, its a noble profession too you know!

So, as Marj said the only way into being a Civil Servant is through the 'back door'.... the Fijian way of saying it, "e backdoor taki." So, I've been working for the Department now for a month and a half and I still haven't been paid.....I guess the Lord is trying to punish me for not stopping the coup.

Well, today was the first day I got to go to Juvenile Court, I had heard some pretty traumatizing stories of Chief Magistrates and today I got to see firsthand. Luckily, she was a real nice Fijian lady who seemed to know that it was my first time and went out of her way to make me feel welcome. However, after that experience I felt so weak that I came back to the office and 'mokusiga' around. Towards the afternoon I got a memo informing me that a child that was placed in Care had passed away. I had read the file while filing it away and it seemed like I knew the child but when the news came it seemed like a statistic. It was sad, I didn't even know the child but it was really sad....but those are the joys of being a social worker.

No comments: